Friday, March 12, 2010

Bernice Jensen Angell Rowe



Just a week ago my dear great-grandmother passed away.  She had just turned 93 and was a hip and happenin lady!  I had the opportunity to see and visit with her many many times in my life (more than once a year), of this I am very grateful!  I come from a wonderful heritage of Angell's  :)  And a very close knit family.  We drove over to Utah for her funeral this week, and I am so glad we did.  She was the oldest living family member on my mom's side, and it was abosultely incredible to see all the family that came, and to realize that every one there was living because of HER!  It's an astonishing thing to realize the effect one person has on how man generations of people.  This lady was the thread that tied the hundred of people together that I was with the past couple of days. 
At funerals, you can't help but think, 'what will people have to say about me when I pass away?'... 'who's lives have I touched?'...  'am I fulfilling my purpose here on earth, what is my purpose?'... 'will I have any regrets?'  These are moments of reflection that can change your life.  Attending her funeral was actually a happy event, it was not quiet and somber, at the viewing children were running around, people were laughing, joking, smiling, happy to celebrate the 93 years of this woman.  It was a surreal experience. 
It was Rick's first time at a funeral, and in fact his first time seeing a dead person :)  How anxious we were for his reaction because I have witnessed him almost passing out just when I get a paper cut, haha.  It was a great experience for him though, and I think we both feel a little rejevenated. 
One of the quotes said by my great-grandmother mentioned in the funeral  was

"Don't let a day go by that you are unhappy, it is a waste of time, be happy every day." 

This seems somewhat cliche and a little redundant, but truely hit me harder than anything has in a long time, and I have made the goal to be happy every day of my life, because it is a great blessing to be on earth at this time, there is so much happiness and things accomplish! 

So, be happy, we are creating our life day by day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...